SailNet Community - View Single Post - The iPad thread! who uses an iPad for sailing?
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road
Re: The iPad thread! who uses an iPad for sailing?

I am a late-blooming Apple Fanboy, but their stock performance enhances the romance.

Per the "other" thread, I am a really big fan of the iPad for navigation. When I bought my boat, I used iSailor and accompanying charts to get the boat from Cleveland to Toronto. It sure was comforting to be able to see the little pointer in the middle of the lake in the middle of the night, when there was nearly nothing for visual reference.

The battery life is okay, but we have installed power ports inside the cabin and at the helm. The sunlight viz in less than perfect, but certainly workable or better.

The great thing of course is that, depending on the software, the vector charting is AMAZING - and so intuitive, you can work the software in minutes. The second great thing is that you possibly already have one; millions do. The third great thing is the myriad of other uses for the device. You can give it to kids to amuse them, you can get your Email, you can store all your favourite galley recipes, you can watch stored movies or stream them from Netflix. You can listen to music, look at your photos, it just goes on and on.

No, you don't need a data plan to use it as a plotter.