SailNet Community - View Single Post - Final Dinghy Choice - does this make sense?
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Final Dinghy Choice - does this make sense?

I've owned several types of dinghy and messed about in many other's small craft. Despite all their advantages and popularity I HATE inflatables because when the motor dies you can NOT row them home unless it is the most favorable of conditions.

I don't think people talk about this failing enough, but I can tell you that when you can't paddle against 1.5-2kts of current and you find yourself getting swept out to sea and away from your boat, it makes you think.

I really like the looks of the Kaboat. I've also liked the looks of the portaboat though it's one of the few craft I've never used I would take note of how fanatical the owners of them are. Most all of them LOVE the boat. I've also seen them rowing well.

We had a lot of conflicting needs, but we ended up with the best compromise we could find. We wanted stable (for small kids), rowable, sailable, able to mount a small OB and most of all abusable. We also were attracted to the "proactive liferaft" component of our choice, the Portland Pudgy.

We love it! (they're not cheap new, but they pop up on craigslist for a few hundred dollars pretty often)

Portland Pudgy safety dinghy, inflatable boat, or fiberglass dinghy?

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook