SailNet Community - View Single Post - Final Dinghy Choice - does this make sense?
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012

GrahamO is on a distinguished road
Re: Final Dinghy Choice - does this make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Yet another example of Sailnet thread "needs inflation."
The OP starts off with a simple premise, by the second page he is getting reccommendations that far exceed his needs, with dire warnings that his original premise will be a complete failure.

Seriously, lots of folks cruise with dinghies without hard bottoms, and do just fine. Who the hell cares about planing in a get-to-shore dinghy and dive platform?
an RIB is at least twice the cost of a hard floor inflatable of the same length, and weighs twice as much, requiring a bigger O/B, and they are very nice, but require davits (more $$$) and the benefit is?
They plane and handle coral better.
Hell, one could sacrifice a soft bottom inflatable to coral every year and still be money ahead three years later.

Somewhere along the way , the original spec of "Normally 2, max 4" occupants got extrapolated into needing to accomodate 4 regularly.

Our 6.5' (yep, it is real short) inflatable regularly carries two unlight adults, a hyperactive dog and 10 gallons of water comfortably, easily propelled by a 2 hp OB. Yeah, the boat doesn't plane. So what? neither does my sailboat.
Thanks Brian,
I must admit I was starting to spin on this one.... Anyway, all input adds something to the body of knowledge. There are some Surprisingly light RIB's that I was not aware of (at a price....).
I think we are going to start off with a Walmart tub and work it out after some time on the boat. We will know what will or will not fit the foredeck and what we can comfortably lift by then.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook