SailNet Community - View Single Post - Not Sure Wich Winch to use
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: Not Sure Wich Winch to use

Faster,

If that is going to be a permanent piece of hardware, you really need to switch it out for a standard block. It looks like you are using a Ronstan 6710 or something in that size range, and they are just not strong enough to handle the loads a turning block will see. It isn't the static loads that will break it, but a shock load from hitting a wave, or when the sail fills suddenly. If I am right about which block that it, it is rated to only about 2000lbs MBS, compare that to a Harken 57mm black magic rated to 3500lbs or a high load block rated to 5000lbs.

Itgoshen,

Please, please, please go hire a local racer/boat bum to go out with you for an afternoon. Even if they aren't instructors, a lot of the problems you are having just require a few minutes of work from someone who is knowlagable to get you guys in much better shape. At least around here I can grab a local boat guy from a couple of beers, and a promise to take his girlfriend out with us.

If you are in Beaufort SC, in fact just take a walk down to Beaufort yacht club and ask around, you can probably get a couple of guys to help you out for nothing except a promise to go sailing. I am pretty sure there is also a college team that sails out of there, and they could be a good resource for someone that can help you out.

You have a beautiful boat, and it is very well equipped, but poor rigging can not only make sailing more dangerous for you, it can also seriously damage the boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook