Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Noank, Connecticut, USA
Thanked 50 Times in 49 Posts
Rep Power: 15
Re: Bug Screens
I had the Velcro edition, a friend made his own weighted covers.
The Velcro works well.
The weighted type work as well but are easier to install.
1. You can adjust, open or close hatches without removing the screen.
2. You can easily lift the companionway screen and go out to turn the BBQ.
3. When you are outside you can easily replace the screen from the outside.
4. Velcro strips glued around the inside your companionway and hatches are ugly.
5. It's faster and easier to install the weighted screens.
To make them to a little time. He sewed up some long bean bag type flexible weights sized to his companionway and forward hatch openings. He then sewed the screen material to the been bag "sausages". For the forward hatch he left enough screen to open and close the hatch.
When the bugs come out you simply cover your openings with the screen. The bean bag weights hold the screen down.
My next boat will have the weighted type.