SailNet Community - View Single Post - Relocating from Chesapeake to New England
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Relocating from Chesapeake to New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Understand if you chose MA, you will pay a 6.25% use tax based on the purchase price of your vessel, making a good argument for preferring RI.
That's a great point. One may have paid sales wherever they come from, but you want to be sure that the State you move your boat to will at least credit them against their use tax. I've been told that Mass is tough.

Rhode Island has no sales or use tax on boats. That encourages some MA residents to try to fake it (ie Senator Kerry), so I suspect that causes them to get aggressive.

On the other hand, if you ever want to see competitive tax policy at work, you should see the number of boats in our marina with out of state owners. It is totally legit as long as your boat is actually kept in RI. They all come to RI and spend tons of money on boat stuff, restaurants, etc. It's a boon for RI and keeps a lot of people employed.

There are two Canadians here that I know of that are admittedly avoiding Canada's 25% import tax. Much less expensive to drive down here and spend their boat bucks with us. Welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 05-24-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook