SailNet Community - View Single Post - Running Lines To The Cockpit....need some advice and ideas?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: Running Lines To The Cockpit....need some advice and ideas?

Newport,

That cheek block is in a terrible position, and those winches are just adding weight and complexity to the boat that doesn't need to be there. You can neither adjust from the mast, or from the cockpit, but must work in some weird combination of them.

My advice would be to add a quad deck organizer, three lines for what you have, plus a spare if you need it in the future. Or a tripple just for what you have. Put it about on line with the where the middle line on your deck runs if you continue the line out, and run those lines back to the spinlocks. It will go a long way to making sail handling easier.

The concerns over your current set up:

1) the line run to the back is brought outboard at too strap an angle. The larger the bend around a sheave the higher the loads on it are, and the more friction it adds to the system.

2) winches and cleats for individual lines slow down line handling, and add a lot of stuff to the deck

3) that stuff can add to lines getting fouled, tripping, stubbed toes, hung up sails, ect. For very little gain.

Alternatively if you want the lines on the mast, then add spinlocks on the mast for them, and add a self tailing winch just below the spinlocks. I prefer lines in the cockpit for short handed sailing but I understand the argument against them.

A good example of what it should look like. This bend is a little tighter than ideal, but noT bad. http://www.sailorscovemarine.com/dec...nizer%2006.jpg

Last edited by Stumble; 05-25-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook