SailNet Community - View Single Post - Traditional Navigation
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012

tony9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Traditional Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilAW View Post
...I am not here to stir that pot, but to ask what the best way to go about learning traditional navigation skills, from taking sights, to celestial navigation. A book? Try to find a person skilled in such and ask for some instruction?
Neil
Hi Neil,
I'm in a similar situation. While I have GPS in my cell phone and marine GPS and a marine navigation app on the phone, I'm still interested in learning traditional navigation skills. I haven't found course yet but have found a wealth of info on the Internet and in books. It seems coastal navigation would be the place to start before getting into celestial navigation. I'm finding for celestial navigation, I'm having to read quite a few references to get a full explanation. Most references tell you what to do, but not the why. As another poster mentioned, different people have different learning styles. I prefer to understand the why over rote steps.

For practicing with a sextant on land, you might find this discussion interesting http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seaman...tant-land.html

Last edited by tony9; 05-25-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook