Thread: Bug Screens
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: Bug Screens

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I bought a bugbuster screen for our forward hatch five seasons ago. It wasn't cheap, but is still in great condition- no tears, no split stitches, and it has seen a lot of use and UV exposure. It installed as soon as the boat goes in the water, every season, so it is in place from May to October in all weather.

SOGEMAN BUGBUSTER 12" X 18" INSECT SCREEN -HATCH The Chandlery Online

Knowing what I know how, I would stitch one up myself, using sinkers as ballast to keep the foot snug to cabin top.

Baggy screesn like this have a real advantage over fixed screens covering the hatch from the inside, in that you can poke your head out through the hatch without having to remove the screen.. which is nice when climbing into a low-overhead v-berth.
These are as great as bljones suggests, and more. We were lucky enough to have been given 2 of these plus the companionway version by a friend who was trading her sailboat for a trawler (we call such people "transvesselites").

Knowing what we know now, we would have bought them if we hadn't gotten them as a gift, and thought it a bargain compared to bug-bit nights. Sometimes I think you just get what you pay for. (The sliding screens are very sleek, but wouldn't work for our application due to spring-type hatch closures)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:

Last edited by wingNwing; 05-25-2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: confusing wording on the first go-round
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook