SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Chicken or the Eggs?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: The Chicken or the Eggs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Tarzan View Post
While in the process of downsizing, selling, saving I am finding it hard to keep my eye on the chicken and not the eggs. I have an urge to outfit a boat before I even acquire one. Electronics are easy to avoid at this point (except for a redundant GPS I got for a steal). I mean items like first aid kit, flares, clothing, solar/wind power etc... The boat I purchase will be used and could come with some of the goodies already. I will be trailer sailing the local lakes for the next 1-2 years, then possibly upgrading to a wet storage lake boat around 30 feet for another year or two. Then hopefully heading for the coast with some experience under my belt. Hope to be racking up the hours and studying for 6-Pack along the way. I think I just want to feel involved in boating even though at the moment I have no boat. Anyone else fall into this trap? Would you consider it a sign of commitment or a waste of chicken capitol at this point?
It's a waste, except for the dreams it provides. Electronics will be outdated before you get THE boat. As you point out, the boat will, or may, come with lots or all of what you buy.

Look at it this way - would you buy a set of tires on spec for a car you haven't even bought yet?

Spend your time walking the docks & boatyards instead of the Chandlers - it's cheaper and provides just as much fodder for dreams.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook