SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboard in Key West?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Liveaboard in Key West?

Yep, can't argue with that. And, of course, when a city government gets involved you know it's just going to be expensive. I was worried that there was something about being in Marathon that was bad that I should know about, crime, etc... I have a tentative job lined up there for next winter, and I'm hoping to work out a deal with one of the marinas with a Tiki Bar to do some horse trading. While I could spend some time on a mooring ball or at anchor, the problem I have is transporting thousands of dollars worth of musical equipment to the dock without getting it wet, something that's nearly impossible in a dink.

The way I look at these city-owned mooring fields that are situated in resort areas is they figure they have the rich, boat owner by the short-hair and can extort huge sums of money for tying up an a 1,000-pound anchor with a float and chain. And, if they eventually make it so you can no longer anchor in the area, you will be limited to pay them or go somewhere else, such as Key West, which has recently jumped on that band wagon.

Thanks again,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook