SailNet Community - View Single Post - Leading Lines Aft\ pilothouse
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would investigate a through deck option, where the lines are led through the pilothouse rather than above. it.

While you can add blocks to a mast, IMHO adding blocks to a mast is a bad idea as they will weaken the mast, and add a horizontal force to mast spar, in a direction it really isn't engineered to resist stress.

Generally, turning blocks are either mounted on the cabin top or to the mast foot collar, as these two locations won't weaken the spar or add any directional stresses to the spar. If your main halyard has 400 lbs of load against it under full sail, that same 400 lbs of force is going to be pulling the mast aft when under sail—probably not a very good idea. YMMV.

Lines that are 15" above the cabin top are also a huge tripping hazard, much more so than ones that are 1/2"-1" above the cabin top.

If you don't want to mount through the pilothouse, then you can mount blocks just in front of the pilothouse to turn the lines upwards, and run them to blocks on top of the pilothouse, specifically designed to bring lines over a cabin top edge, and back to line clutches and winches mounted on the pilothouse top. Be aware that this will add significant friction to the system, as you'll have the turning blocks at the mast base, the deck organizers, the turning blocks at the pilothouse base and the blocks at the top of the pilothouse in the system, rather than just the first two. Leading the lines absolutely fair is a necessity in a system this complicated.

The pilot house roof sounds a bit low to me...but that's just me... Generally, on many pilot house boats, the lines are led through the front of the pilot house and the winches and line clutches are located on a horizontal surface inside the pilothouse that is essentially an extension of the cabin top that is along the outer edges of the pilothouse area.

This sounds like pretty poorly thought out boat design IMHO, no offense, but it does for the reasons I mention above. Is there no flat surface inside the pilothouse to mount the winches and line clutches. This would simplify leading the lines aft and reduce the overall friction in the system, but would allow for a small amount of spray to enter via the opening the lines enter through.

My other question is if the pilot house roof is 15" above the cabin top, is it low enough to allow you sufficient leverage to work the winches properly?? Food for thought...have you tried to see if you could grind a winch that was located on the pilothouse roof from the cockpit??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook