SailNet Community - View Single Post - How did you get your start in sailing?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012

jppp is on a distinguished road
Re: How did you get your start in sailing?

When I was one my father was a (the) radio announcer at the only radio station in the Bahamas. We all lived on a 40' Tahiti Ketch. It was around 1959. I was dressed in diapers and life preserver as was my older sister, w/o the diaper of course. She fell in a couple of times. She also drank paint thinner out of a Campbell Soup Can. She's Fine now. Sorta. Today, on my fireplace mantel is a conch horn that dad had used for signalling on that Ketch The Valiant and Later Schooner Privateer. We would fight over who was going to call the launch. When there was a launch. Ya know I think I'll put that horn back into service. That schooner was once owned by Burl Yves Don't ya know? He called it the Bahama Mama. That was about 1930. He was the second owner. Boy she was fast. I had a favorite book when I was young called Seabird. Lots of illustrations. It was about a boy who spent a season on a whaling ship. There was a drawing of him clutched to the tip of the bowsprit, holding a carved seagull on the end of a stick that would appear to be flying. I would spend hours at the end of the bowsprit on Privateer thinking of that image. Gosh I loved it out there.
Angler 204 Cuddy-, Crushed in Hurricane Sandy
Yes all true, No wonder no one will go on the water with me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook