SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice on SF Bay summer sailing
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012

crstophr is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice on SF Bay summer sailing

Thanks everyone for all the advice. The boat has been well maintained by the previous owner of 12 years. It needs topside paint badly but rigging was replaced about 10 years ago, bottom paint is about a year old, all lines run to cockpit and newish, st100 autohelm, self tailing winches for the jib sheets.. etc. Lots of attention to little functional details. He took wonderful care of the boat and I paid a bit more because I recognised that it was a turnkey without any major projects. UK Sails were new as of 2006 and weren't used much at all the in past 4 years or so. They seem good to me.

For a jib I'm running a class jib (125?) for a santana 22. Hank on. I have a tack line that raises it up so I can easily see under the jib while sailing. I love the visibility. Probably functions as about a 100 as it can just touch the mast in a tack. This is what was up last weekend. I have a 90 with battons as well but it's heavy dacron and I like it less. I have a 100 drifter, and a 120 and 150 genoa. I've also got a santana 22 90 jib that would be the smallest head sail I have. Would it be worth running that?

I sail out of the alameda marina. Waaaaaaaaaay up the Oakland Estuary. 45 minutes motoring into the wind just to get to the bay is getting a bit old and I'm starting to think about an alternate east bay location but not likely this season.

The main only has one set of reef points and a single line reef setup. Is it worth it to pay to add a second?

Please tell me more about danger from currents. I go under the bay bridge a lot and I may not fully understand what I should be careful of. Will a current tend to take you around an object as the water flows around it? What should I lookout for?

I really want to learn to handle whatever is normal for the bay here and not just hide from it. I've been out with the previous owner a couple of times but that was in winter and low winds. We're still in contact and he's a great source of advice. Single handing is a reality for me if I want to sail regularly and the boat is well setup for it. I'm starting to take non-sailor friends out as well and want to manage my boat so as not to freak them out

Thanks again for all the advice. I have learned so much by lurking on these forums.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook