SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC.
View Single Post
  #133  
Old 05-26-2012
Jgbrown Jgbrown is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 377
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: Trying another tack... Looking for the right boat near Vancouver, BC.

It was nice to meet you too Jack. Mitiempo(Brian) is heading back to Victoria, 4 days of hard work, and Antares' electrical system is fantastic now! He does great work, I'd say it was cheap, considering the tremendous amount of work that he did, but that would be doing the quality of his work a disservice.
From before the job even started he was helping me figure out what to do in terms of the panel, helping me find better deals and educating me on what to look for, and where to spend or save on parts.

He re-wired the boat end to end, replacing almost all of the wiring(including a huge chunk of engine wiring that was bizarre)basically the only things left were the engine and engine control panel harness. The wires up the mast(but rewiring that whole connection as the terminal block was a disaster, with doubled up positives and other oddities. (someone ran a standard cable but used both black and red for +, with a shared ground on a bar).
Removing all the wiring that was left in place but cut on both ends, tracing each wire out, and re-designing how the electricity is handled on the boat, with proper ground busses etc. 5 grocery bags of wire came out. Large rolls went in, cut exactly to fit with proper ends and heatshrink.
All the wiring is logical, ordered and easy to understand, with connections set aside for future upgrades.

Best of all, I now at least have a good idea of what each thing actually does, Brian taught me a lot about what he was installing as he did it, and how all the different components worked and where their wires ran.

If I had tried to do this myself, I think I would have regretted it, although I was initially worried about the cost of doing this all at once up front, I am so thankful I decided to go for it. What Brian did in 10 minutes would take me hours to figure out, if I ever got there at all. Now I have a totally solid and reliable system, and I understand how to fix it for the most part. This makes everything else I need to do easier too, since I can run power tools etc as I need, and got a lot of good advice on where to go next, not just electrically.

He also produced the best quote about the survey. He said that he'd seen many good surveys, as well as bad ones, and that mine was just fine, the only problem being that it had nothing to do with my actual boat.




I was planning to give the boat a good clean today, but then the holding tank decided to let go through the toilet at an unpleasant rate, on my nice clean floor and into the bilge.
Pump won't hold it back even locked out, I capped the vent line and tried the discharge pump to build some vacuum in the system, to stop it so we could go pump out. No luck, that pump is plugged completely. Went to the pump out station, on the way we got to (re)discover the Alberg's lack of reverse, something I'll have to work on figuring out how to handle soon. Once we made it to the dock, we discovered that the system has so many air leaks the pump won't suck it out. I added extra hose clamps and taped all the joints but the vacuum would just pull it in and then keep leaking air, refusing to pick up any crap.
We had to run the hose through the hatch and down into the inspection port to suck out the delightful soup. A solid half inch of filth remains based on the thickness I could see having scraped the sides with the hose a bit. They didn't allow any fresh water to be added, so I'll have to go back and forth quite a few times I think.
The person running the pump out station said it was 5$/run of the pump, and since it took 5 tries of sucking air it should be 30$, but that since it wasn't really working properly we could just pay for one.

Removing the head at least went way up the list of priorities, still have to figure out a way to clean it so I don't get coated in **** when I cut the tank up to remove it. Mitiempo had a great suggestion for replacement, instead of going to a composting toilet. After that's sorted hopefully I can get to the mast beam repairs without too much more drama.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook