Join Date: May 2012
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Westerbeke - no start post inj. pump rebuild.
Calling all Diesel guru's.
We just had the injection pump and injectors rebuilt and everything went back together without major incident. We're trying to get her running in the cradle but no joy as of yet.
Things we know:
1. Bleeding process went as indicated. We have fuel at the injectors. We went through the process several times for lack of other activities.
2. Oil is new and looking fine
3. The old "WD40 in the intake" routine got her to rumble a couple times but today yields nothing.
4. Exhaust is pushing the water out normally during cranking.
Here are the suspects in my mind:
1. I know of no way to independently verify that the injectors are firing. But the WD40 should turn the engine regardless of their operation.
2. Excessive blow-by. The WD40 should have the cylinder walls well lubricated and I find it hard to believe that after 32 years, the compression fails the same year I rebuild the injection pump. She was running fine last season. Just had the leak from the injection pump and the white smoke.
3. Crank speed. Seemed low initially but once she lubricated it now seems nominal to me. Starter batt was freshly charged each day and I have a pretty good ear for this engine after 30 years. I don't think it's too slow. We've had WD40 kick her over with a slower crank.
So any suggestions are welcome. If anyone has troubleshooting tests or things to check on, let me know. I'd be very interested in ways to test compression or injector firing.
*Note: We used the Skipper's WD40 bleed method a couple times in a pinch but have suspended it's use for the past couple years after getting opinions from diesel pros.