SailNet Community - View Single Post - Westerbeke - no start post inj. pump rebuild.
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012

Down2TheC is on a distinguished road
Re: Westerbeke - no start post inj. pump rebuild.

Thanks for all the quick traffic.

Only way I could see connecting the injector outside of the head would be to not have the return line hooked up so it would be sideways maybe. I'll take a peek to see if it's feasible. As long as I can catch fuel spewing from both ends, I guess it would be a good (albeit slightly scary) unit test of the injector rebuild.

History...
The W50 is a 1981 with low hours. Our Tartan 37 does daysailing mostly with a few cruises to the MI side of the lake. (We're in IL.) The past few season she started accumulating fuel in the sump at an increasing pace. Last season it got bad enough to find the source. The cutoff control on the injection pump was dripping at the stem. So I pulled it this Spring, had it rebuilt, and everyone said that with 32 years in service, might as well rebuild the injectors while I'm at it. So the shop did both. Other than some white smoke which I assume was a product of the injection pump, the engine was performing excellent throughout.

Timing on the W50 is a matter of 2 degrees play in the pump mount. I lost the scoring on the pump casing because I didn't know that the shop was going to put it through paint. But I matched the position using photos taken prior to disassembling. Other T37 owners claim that no timing available will make the engine not run. Only major smoke and maybe rough. Plus she'd run on WD40 with the timing off. So I don't think that's it, though I'm running out of things to do so I may try a twist if nothing else presents itself.

If nothing else works by Tuesday, I may have to bring in the pros ($$$) to get a compression test. Speaking of which... Could the injector mounting gear be an issue? Could we lose all compression because the shop gave me the wrong size internal washers or something? Mine has a copper ring over the injector nut and a crushable heatshield at the tip.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook