SailNet Community - View Single Post - Good sleeping bag for sailing
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: Good sleeping bag for sailing

Buy a decent backpacking one right now(if you want a winter weight) or wait until the end of summer(if you want a summer weight). Doing this you can often get an excellent bag for well below your budget, without resorting to big bulky, slow drying old style synthetics.
Rei-outlet, steep and cheap, moose-jaw, sierra trading etc all offer heavy discounts too. Shop around, buy offseason. Brands like North Face, Marmot etc are great. I'd stay away from waterproof bags, though I don't mind a DWR coating(water repellent) on the outside for mild dew if I'm planning to sleep outside in it. water proof keeps more water in.

EDIT: Fleece vs a good synthetic bag, it depends on the quality and thickness of both to create the same amount of warmth.

Fleece takes more storage space, and may not dry much faster for the same level of warmth and comfort if you are going to get a decent quality sleeping bag, price is similar for a given level of warmth too.

My good synthetic bag is dry in an hour or two hung on a branch, the strands inside are individually water repellent, so water goes out easily.

Last edited by Jgbrown; 05-27-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook