SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 22 v Aquarius 21?
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina 22 v Aquarius 21?

I have an Aquarius 23, Aquarius has a Yahoo group for more info. Cat is still in business, Aquarius isn't.

The Aquarius has a lead sole for ballast, plus a swingboard/keel for pointing additional stability. Later models have a locking keel. Both pocket sailers, both trailerable. The Aquarius has a shallower launch, but you have to remove the rudder to launch. Some have been retrofitted with a kick up rudder.

Mine is original spade rudder in a box. works great, but a pain to have to lift out anytime going on or off trailer. Also can be fitted with a transom rudder, but with lowered performance. Some other Aquarius downsides, cutout transom for outboard mounting, I added a transom board, and mounted outboard on a kicker.

But transom cutout means no rear traveler, mainsheet is on a pulley rope like some smaller sailboats, harder to control boom on tight sheeting.

Has popup top for a full 6' headroom, but also limits traveler placement. Cabin is well layed out and has private head area connected to V-berth. Dining table is small and gets in the way, but can be folded down....so it bangs your shins in rough chop.

One other downside I've seen in all the smaller sailboats I've been on, no cockpit storage. Seat locker drops directly onto quater berth so???...where to store the outboard gas???? Drop it onto your bed? I like the smell of gas in MY sleeping bag. or the wet sails? Or the docking lines you just dropped in the water, bumpers, lifejackets? foulies?

But both sides of under cockpit are open, and lots of room to stash things.
Easy to sail, easy to raise mast, I rig a stop line to the bow from the forestay, and just lift the other end until 60degs. then with a second person holding the line to lock it, I go forward and pull the forestay to the bow. Mast is around 80lbs, so with planning you never have to lift more than 40lbs.

Shrouds are swept back so backstay is optional. Boom has a swivel in the gooseneck so you can reef by rolling main on the boom, also handy to store it. Fractional rig is easy to point, and quick tacking. Can be single handed.

Maintenence items, swingboard mount and winch, rudder box. Subject to wood rot in interior. I hope this helps.