SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do you really know and trust your boat?
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012

PPPPPP42 is on a distinguished road
Question Do you really know and trust your boat?

I don't know that I will when I finish my 1976 O'day 22 project and it really bothers me.

Maybe I just picked the wrong boat because I was able to get it SUPER cheap but the design just doesn't feel strong to me in any way after really going over it (and the 1973 rotten parts boat with it) and there are a lot of hidden places on the hull for rot and separation to occur that I can't chase in after without hacking the boat to bits. It doesn't help that I will always be expecting the mast to push through the deck or the chain plates to rip it off, or the keel to go from stress cracks in the gelcoat (formerly covered by bottom coating when purchased) to serious structural cracks.

I'm half tempted to gut the whole one piece interior including roof panel and find a better way to tie everything together (especially across the keel opening) and support the mast. Probably put 1/3 thicker stays than what is on it by design since both the 73 and 76 have been dismasted before (76 came with 2 piece mast). I firmly believe a sailboat should feel strong enough to suffer a violent knockdown and not come all apart at least in the hull but this just doesn't feel that way.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook