SailNet Community - View Single Post - epoxy barrier coat sun exposure how long is too long?
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Re: epoxy barrier coat sun exposure how long is too long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyandjebus View Post
Hello all, thanks for the replies.
2) Remove all of the existing barrier coat and start from scratch.
I am leaning in this direction. My only concern is that it is going to be a mother of a job containing the dust I mean. I have been doing some sanding over the last several nights, both with a palm sander and a grinder with a flap disk. The palm sander isn't up to the job(full barrier coat removal) where as the grinder is. My concern with the grinder is dust collection. So I guess I tarp off the full boat and spend a few days grinding.

Any thoughts on a power tool up to a full hull sanding that also has a reasonable amount of dust collection? Regardless of the hp I don't see a orbital sander up to the task. But I am open to being corrected on this.

John
John,
I am doing my bottom right now. Previous owner applied barrier paint over gelcoat cracks and blisters. My boat has be covered on land for 3 years now. Kind of stupid to put it back in the water without fixing the problem. You are right about the orbital and flap disk sanders not being up to the task. I have been using a Ridgid 3" x 18" belt sander with 36 grit. I have it attached to a Ridgid 4 gallon shop vac with a paper filter bag. I also have the heavy duty hose accessory which is far better than the standard hose that comes with the vac. It fits loosely on the sander dust port. When it starts falling off the bag is filled. So far I have filled 5 bags! There is some dust, wear a respirator and googles. However it is far far less than without the vac.

This is brutally hard work. I can only do it for about 6 hours. So far I have about 5 days in it, and should finish my 26 ft boat in about 2 more 6 hour days. Buy lots of belts, I've gone through about 12 already and will use at least 8 more. Knowing what I know now, I'd have gladly paid $1000 to get it sand blasted, and in the water!

Gary H. Lucas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook