SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Re: Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?

I'd suggest buying a boat in the Abacos and sailing it all over there, That'll keep you occupied until you decide whether or not it is a thing for you. The "Sea of Abaco" is reasonably well protected waters and offers numerous ports, islands and places to go. Even if you decide sailing isn't your thing, then you have a place to go to in the Bahamas and you just keep it at one of the marinas and move it from place to place when you get bored.
You might consider buying a boat in Florida with the stipulation that the previous owner accompany you to Marsh HArbor and then he flies home. The former owner isn't likely to make the crossing if the boat is in poor shape (if he values his life).
Yes, I do think one could buy a 27-30' boat for 15K suitable for sailing the Bahamas. I figure my own 28' S2 is worth only 10K and is set up for such trips (I am very spartan in the area of comforts though). Yes, You'd have to buy a handheld VHF, flares, inflatable life jacket, etc and that stuff would cost another $1000.
So, I say it is do-able with the major risk that you'll not like it and then have trouble selling the boat. Remember, keeping a boat in a slip or in a yard will cost about $300/month in the Bahamas.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook