SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tool to remove core to properly mount deck hardware
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012

nwsaildude is on a distinguished road
Re: Tool to remove core to properly mount deck hardware

I have used different burs - the down side to a bur is that most of the time it was too big for the hole and I ended up with a large hole on the top side. Tried the bent nail and sort of worked but bounced a bit.

The last tool has been a series of about 1/8 inch Allen Wrenches with the short ends ground down - I have several different lengths - the smallest or shortest is small enough to rotate freely in the base hole. Then I beat out the core (Balsa in my case) then switch to a slightly longer Allen Wrench and repeat a few times until I get the core enlarged to the size I want - - the secret with the Allen Wrenches is not to use too long a short side - when the short side is too long or you get too greedy and in a hurry the bit will bounce around and get bent - - on the good side the 1/8 inch Allen Wrenches don't cost much if you buy them at an industrial supply house. Seems I might have paid maybe $ 1.50 for 6 wrenches.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook