SailNet Community - View Single Post - Overlapping versus Blade headsails which is quicker ?
View Single Post
post #18 of Old 05-29-2012
puddinlegs

Re: Overlapping versus Blade headsails which is quicker ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post

The problem with the Hanses is that they are surprisingly high drag for a modern design, and do not have all that much standing sail area. They are also limited by their next to useless self-tacking set up which means that the normal jib is very small (90% or so), and does not set as well as might be ideal. It sounds like you have a custom set up which may let you use a 105-109% headsail.

Jeff, having just seen a Hanse 47, we watched the owner's crew takes down the self-tacker (yes, it's a really odd set-up... from the track, to the base of the mast, up the mast, in the mast, back down the mast, back to the cockpit ) and hoist a standard jib lead to standard genoa tracks/adjustable lead cars on the deck while preparing to race. I'm sure the boat sailed much better with the standard jib than with the self tacker. IMHO, self-tackers without a boom are pretty much useless, but I'm not expecting anyone to share my small thought on the matter.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome