SailNet Community - View Single Post - Overlapping versus Blade headsails which is quicker ?
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Re: Overlapping versus Blade headsails which is quicker ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post

The problem with the Hanses is that they are surprisingly high drag for a modern design, and do not have all that much standing sail area. They are also limited by their next to useless self-tacking set up which means that the normal jib is very small (90% or so), and does not set as well as might be ideal. It sounds like you have a custom set up which may let you use a 105-109% headsail.

Jeff, having just seen a Hanse 47, we watched the owner's crew takes down the self-tacker (yes, it's a really odd set-up... from the track, to the base of the mast, up the mast, in the mast, back down the mast, back to the cockpit ) and hoist a standard jib lead to standard genoa tracks/adjustable lead cars on the deck while preparing to race. I'm sure the boat sailed much better with the standard jib than with the self tacker. IMHO, self-tackers without a boom are pretty much useless, but I'm not expecting anyone to share my small thought on the matter.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook