SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do you really know and trust your boat?
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012

PPPPPP42 is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you really know and trust your boat?

That is a good analogy, but its really more like going cruising in a 1972 Ford Mustang with the typical rusted unibody frame rails and over stressed flexy shock towers, since the car like the boat doesn't have a frame worth mentioning and the truck with its full steel frame no matter how rusty would be like a regular boat with a strong keel and ribs to hold everything together.

At the very least I need to address a few issues before sailing.
The support in the cabin is getting shoved into the floor which is allowing the mast to shove down on the cabin top to the extent that you can feel with your feet that the fiberglass isn't attached to the core anymore from flexing and deformation, though it doesn't feel squishy like rot its making stress cracks in such a random pattern that I think I run the risk of losing triangle shaped pieces of glass if I were to stomp around with my heels. When the 76 was dismasted it apparently tore one ear off the tabernacle before snapping in half at the spreaders so I put the tabernacle off the 73 on it since it was the same type, but due to some difference now its clocked to starboard by at least 10 degrees if not more so I will have to take it back off or grind one channel on it way farther forward. Since the holes are too close for reclocking correctly I will probably change to a better wider tabernacle that allows 4 bolt through screws over a wider area. The current original one only uses one bolt and 2 screws that otherwise would interfere with the support post underneath if bolted.
Also I have a small hole in the keel to patch and though most of the rather extensive front to back stress cracking on the keel is cosmetic depth one crack is bowed out slightly but far enough to concern me.
And when the rudder was torn off the boat (thankfully the 73 had a good one) it did some pretty extensive spider cracking around the bolt holes that I would like to fix properly before remounting it so I don't have to take it off again. Those leaking holes already rotted out the transom rudder support which I already cut out but I haven't glassed in a replacement yet.

As for location I am in WI on the edge of MN, this is fairly typical for sailboats here:
minneapolis boats - all classifieds "sail" - craigslist
Most people do little boats here since the river and only a few lakes among the tons up here are suitable for launching larger ones. Anything trailerable commands a premium when its big enough to have a cabin since most people don't want stuff that sits in the water and everything has to come out after our short season. I could actually slap on bottom paint finish putting everything together and get $3500 for my boat in a heartbeat if I didn't want it anymore.

I really am overthinking it but its hard to get out of my head how much flex everything seems to have and how little the gelcoat if not the glass itself likes to be flexed and EVERYTHING seems to allow water into the various areas of core material making rot and even more flex.

EDIT: forgot to mention, another thing I need to fix that shows me how flexy the hull design is, in both boats the hard drain tube from the cockpit was snapped in half due to the cockpit moving independently from the transom, its actually been replaced and re-snapped on the 76 already so I will be either cutting out and replacing it with a super flexible plastic (a bother) or just chopping the middle out and hose clamping rubber hose onto it (more likely since it'll stop ripping itself out of the fiberglass then).

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 05-29-2012 at 04:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook