SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mast (Climbing)- No Halyards
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Re: Mast (Climbing)- No Halyards

If I ever lose all halyards at once, I plan to us a couple lines, each wrapped around the mast 4 or more times, with some slack in the final loop. Then I'll use each of those as prusic knots, sliding them up one at a time, and letting them support the chair and foot loops on my TopClimber.

(I use this technique when installing my main sail solo. The top sliders go into the track first, which means I'm lifting significant weight while fiddling with getting the final sliders/cars inserted. The mast loops -- tied around the mast below the lowest inserted slider/car -- relieve the weight and make the job easy. Think of this as separating the act of lifting from the act of inserting the sliders/cars. It becomes a casual activity instead.)

Ascending the mast this way would be slow going, and I'd need to re-tie new loops after each spreader, but it would work, slowly. It would probably take 3 hours to ascend.

My lawyer just called. This is too dangerous, don't do any of this. Hire a professional rigger. They could use the work and they know what they are doing. And you'll likely get some hints on any obvious issues.

Regards,
Brad

Last edited by Bene505; 05-29-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook