SailNet Community - View Single Post - Has anybody gone the sub £5k route for a liveaboard?
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: Has anybody gone the sub £5k route for a liveaboard?

I'm just in the middle of it. I paid a bit more, but bought what should have been a sub 8000$ boat I think. Not sure if it's worth the headache. The biggest problem I've found is that a lot of the work I need to do can't be done while living aboard easily unfortunately. It was supposed to be cosmetic issues only(and the surveyor agreed that they were) but I'm tearing out the failed mast support beam next week I hope.
Across the way from me there's a boat that's currently being lived aboard in reasonable shape overall asking 6000$.
Interior VS exterior comes in to play as well... For example a CS27 costs 10% less per year to moor(and at 20$ a foot that adds up!!), but has way more interior space than my 30', newer boats with less overhang make a big difference IMO. Especially since the Marina goes by listed length in the name, not actual length(so an Alberg 29 would cost me less, despite being within a couple inches in size, both are 29.xx' long.

Those living off the boat repairs add up FAST spending 4000$ extra up front for a boat in good shape, with a modern design and shorter length vs interior space could give save you more than that in the first year, doubly so since you wouldn't need to be paying rent while rebuilding.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook