SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cell phone usage for USA and "maybe" Caribbean
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012

F15EWSO is on a distinguished road
Cell phone usage for USA and "maybe" Caribbean

All,
We are finishing our current contract with Verizon in December 2012 just about the time we will cross over for a standard 5 month trip through the Caribbean.

With no contract, we can use any carrier we want, bear in mind in May when we return we'll be back to normal US operations. We need to get some sort of of contract to support our two college kiddos so going without is not an option as the "family plan" stuff has proved economical and a good deal overall. Also coming out of the Caribbean after 5 months we'll just hook back up with our kids in the usual "unlimited" minutes we'be using for years. We are inclined to use an android in this family plan as we can use it as a "hub" for our PCs when we are out of WiFi but within cell phone coverage if needed.

We've seen the posts about SIM cards in the Caribbean; changing as needed. Does this work with a "cheap" phone from Wal-Mart? Will our US based contract be cost prohibitive in the islands (it appears so looking at BTCBahamas.com)

We'll use WiFi and Skype when able, I also have a Google phone number that I "own".

Doing a search for cell-phones here on sail-net was a hodge-podge of satellite, cell, WiFi, and quite often dated material in the ever evolving world of telecom.

Is anybody doing the same thing right now or recently with a great idea that worked for them and might work for us?

I'm sure my novella is clear as mud but that is how I feel about my solutions as well....please help

THanks
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook