Thread: Rigging
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Nothing I hate more than a boat where all the lines are cut from the same spool. Trying to untie the inevitable knots is much easier when you have different color lines.

Secondly different uses require different lines. They aren't all the same, and despite some cruisers recomendations Sta-set is some of the most expensive line on the planet when sized for breaking strength. Selecting proper line is critical for a boat to work at its optimum, AND is less expensive than just buying off a spool.

Primary considerations for different uses
Halyards - low stretch, light weight
Traveler - hand, low water absorption
Main Sheet - low stretch, low water absorption
Jib sheet - able to be put on a winch, low stretch
Docking lines - nylon

For all lines, remember, if you are paying someone to splice anything but three strand line you can probably learn to splice it pretty easily.
That's true......but what's he have, like 3 or 4 lines in the cockpit. It's a 25 macgregor. Any VLS DOUBLEBRAID will meet all the criteria. It's 96 cents a foot at West. I color code my lines so I agree with you. I was a rigger on a three masted tall ship, 1000's of feet of white 3 strand. I work the deck of a tug and barge, all 3" blue 3 strand or 12 strand. he needs 300 feet plus. I would look for a remnant or halfspool( box) in Boat's and Harbours. But I'm a low budget sailor who keep's his lines to a min. I have three lines in my cockpit, 2 jib sheets, they are easy to tell apart because one is on the port and the other starboard. and a main sheet, EZ to pick out because it's aft center.