SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sirocco 15 daysailer a good first "real" boat?
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012

DanielF is on a distinguished road
Sirocco 15 daysailer a good first "real" boat?

Hi all,

I believe I joined this forum last summer when I purchased my Sunfish, but otherwise I'm pretty much new to the boards. My sailing experience includes several dozen hours on the Sunfish last season, maybe half a dozen between skippering and crewing on Hobies (I race), and just a few hours cruising on Lake MI on a much larger boat. Overall I have only been into sailing since last July, so not quite a year.

While looking for a second Sunfish hull to play with, I came across a guy offering me a free boat called a Sirocco 15. This is a 15', 450lb daysailer with an 85lb swing keel. Essentially the question is should I take it? This boat has been actively used and taken care of, though it did not get out last season because a tree fell on and bent the front of the trailer.

I spent more than two hours inspecting the boat, sails and rigging, and all appears to be complete (and sails in great shape!). You can view photos of the specific boat here. The only thing to note is two small gelcoat cracks, one on each side of the keel trunk inside the cockpit. I figure at the very least I can grab it, take a couple weeks to fully inspect the thing, and either decide to work on and sail it this season or quickly pass it on. Used these boats do go for around a grand, give or take. Thoughts?

Thanks much!
Daniel
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook