SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sirocco 15 daysailer a good first "real" boat?
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012

DanielF is on a distinguished road
Re: Sirocco 15 daysailer a good first "real" boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Those hairline cracks are likely only superficial. I'd be more worried that the swing keel raising/lowering mechanism is in good shape. It might be fine or it might need a new cable and/or fittings. In either case not expensive.

It looks to be a good boat to move up to from a Sunfish but it won't be as fast as your Hobie experiences. It is not a boat I'd choose to take across a Great Lake but should be fine for day sailing.

There really are no "free" boats but a 15 footer should not cost much to fix up IF there is anything that needs fixing.
Thanks for the input! Yeah, on one hand they look to be limited to the gelcoat itself, but on the other hand there's the saying that there's "no such thing as a surface crack." We'll see. Is there any way I can get this thing jacked up so I can check the keel mechanism, or is jacking it up unnecessary?

Unfortunately I do need to purchase a trailer for this before I can move it. Any tips when it comes to used trailers, or will any trailer meant for a 14' - 16' monohull work fine?

Ultimately I see this as a boat I can clean up and trailer to a relatively large local lake (3/4 x 1.5 miles), and maybe next season I can throw on a 2.5 Merc and rent a slip at an even larger local lake (1 x 5 miles).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook