SailNet Community - View Single Post - Production blue water boats
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2006
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Sailingdog

If one was take your arguments than the 1,000 of cruisers out there would never get off the dock.
Tankage. Good designed boats puts the tankage below the waterline and in the centerline. This gives the boat a better CG (center of gravity) and more stability. As an example Caliber and Super Amels do this the best. I read a lot of cruisers blogs and find they run out of diesel fuel because their tankage is weak and/or pay high prices for fuel when they get somewhere when the next island or port has fuel for less. Carry jerry cans to make it somewhere is an option but it clutters the deck. Furthermore, who wants to drag them into town in a dingy, drag them back and than fill the tanks. Talk about strength!
Aft cockpits. I agree with large open cockpits can be dangerous. I have ruled out most production boats for this, Catalina's, Bennie, Hunter, ect.
Sail area and electric winches. Most sailboats in this size don't have them. Even costal cruisers don't or racers. So reducing sail area your argument is mute. If the sailboat is properly set-up than no problem. I don't think with all the retiree’s out there the strength to reduce sail is a problem. Of course good seamanship always helps too.
Fair winds
Melissa

Last edited by Melrna; 10-29-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook