SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice on SF Bay summer sailing
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012

crstophr is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice on SF Bay summer sailing

IIRC the main was measured by someone from rooster sails but actually made by UK (both patches are on the sail)... I'll have to look at what it will cost to get another set of reef points on it and think about switching to a double line system at the same time. I have no idea why it came with only one set given that it was all done locally. I'll need to read up on how a double line system is setup.

The weekend traffic in the estuary can be really busy sometimes. Rowers racing, dragon boats, kayaks, dingy sailing races, small boat races, ferries, tugs, container ships, coast guard, fishing boats... My desire to motor out to more open water is mainly about wanting to get some space. For a newbie it can feel really crowded and I spend most of my time in the estuary focused on how everything is moving so I don't run into any of it.

The 90 jib with battens is indeed cut for the ranger. My complaint is that I have to use blocks shackled to the rail for the sheets as stock tracks are too far aft. This is how the PO had it setup anyway. It also likes to wrap the fore stay when DDW and that's another reason I've gravitated away from it. The sheeting angle worked out better with the S22 class jib because I was able to get it high enough to use the normal tracks/blocks.

I've got a lot to think about. Thanks everyone!

--Chris
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook