SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bristol 34 or........?
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012

tanksalot is on a distinguished road
Re: Bristol 34 or........?

One of the things that's impressed me the most is the number of warm, friendly, outgoing and (sometimes) very knowledgeable people my wife and I have met in our search for a boat.

There's an almost childlike enthusiasm amongst sailboat owners (and this boat buyer), and it's exhilarating to meet intelligent, outgoing people who REALLY know what they're talking about. Especially if it's about something that you also enjoy. Discussions rapidly evolve from boats to life, values and other topics that are meaningful and emotional. I LOVE sailing!!

Regarding the Bristol 34, I've talked to one former owner over the phone (boat got wrecked in a hurricane), and have posted on a few sites looking for others. Right now the surveyor will give the boat a 45 min. once-over and let me know what he sees. What's interesting is that in contacting one yachting club to see if they know of any Bristol 34 owners, I get a return email saying, essentially, that it's really not that great of a boat with numerous issues. It just happened to be a boat broker, and I'm certain he had his own agenda. Sad to see such manipulation of reality.

I've also found a Tartan 30 that seems to have gotten excellent care from a meticulous owner. What I'm planning now is a trip to see the Tartan 30 enroute to viewing the Bristol 34 survey. Then the Tartan 30 can be my emotional/actual fall back position.

I'll keep the C&C 34 in mind, but the amount of time and travel this boat-looking is starting to take up is surprising. But getting up in the morning, driving for a while, looking at boats with a knowledgeable, enthusiastic broker, eating lunch at a nice restaurant with an ocean view and then coming home at 4 PM isn't such a bad way to spend a day. Plus, we're learning a LOT about various boats and their characteristics.

Thanks for the feedback
Tanksalot
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook