SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fuel Pump Options
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2006

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Fuel Pump Options

When I bought my boat, the surveyor recommended replacing the mechanical fuel pump with an electric on my Atomic Four.

The mechanical pump is running fine now, but there's no history of it being rebuilt (previous owner admitted he never rebuilt it during the last 14 years). So, I'm thinking it's overdo for rebuild or replacement.

As for the electrics, I'm not excited about having to run another wire and put in the oil pressure sensor for it. Sounds complicated, given that the mechanical is simple and has been running fine for so many years.

So, I'm thinking I'll stick to mechanical, and at least do a rebuild of the current one. However, if I wanted a spare, what would be the best way to go? Moyer has the original entire pump for around $205. They have an improved version for $223. If I installed the new and rebuilt the old as a spare, I'd eat the core charge cost.

An alternate is at http://www.nuclearengine.com/fuel.htm. They have a replacement mechanical for only $42, and it eliminates the sediment cup. Sounds a little too good to be true, but I wonder if others have tried it? I could install it, and keep the rebuilt old as a spare.

Alternatively, I could skip the spare and just rebuild for only $45, but I like the idea of having a back-up if we were crusing for 2-3 weeks at a time.

So, anyone with experience with the nuclearengine pump? Or is there a reason why an electric is the best way to go?

Thanks!

Jim H

Last edited by Jim H; 10-29-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook