SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heeling free kite rig & prototype-video
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012

kibokit is on a distinguished road
Re: Heeling free kite rig & prototype-video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
SkySails use a telescoping mast tied to a specially designed captive reel, and launching system. Even with a fixed vertical mast they don't report any significant heeling.

Last time I looked into them they had a small rig in the works for yachts, and I think have installed one on a 150' yacht, but I can't remember the details off hand. Their large kites are powering ocean going ships of a number of different types already.

Kibo,

I am not sure exacally what you are trying to patent though. There are hundreds of people attaching kites to kayaks, small catamarans, monohulls, canoes, ect. I would be interested in knowing what specifically you have added though.
Stumble,

I am surprised that you are asking this, as I had tried to and thought to have managed to show quite clearly in the video, how my rig is functioning. It is attached to the bow and provides all the lateral resistance needed for effective sailing in front of the boat, balancing out there. This means, that there is no heeling force transmitted to the boat at all, which is an absolute sensation in sailing. As you can see in the video I am sailing an extremely narrow 32kg(+8kg rig)hull with 21 sqm of sail(=kite), and that is singlehanded and comfortably . This is unheard of in the world of sailing, I think.
While many people have attached kites to small boats, I haven't seen or heard of any one kite sailing a mono hull with ease, and seeming to perform decently upwind.
Skysails, by the way, holding a patent for, summarized, running a watercraft by means of an automatically controlled kite, so if I were to get a patent and someone wanted to (commercially) launch a kite system using my rig and an auto-controlled kite, they needed licenses both from me and from skysails.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook