SailNet Community - View Single Post - Southern Chesapeake marina reccomendations
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012

davesg is on a distinguished road
Southern Chesapeake marina reccomendations

We're getting ready to launch our 1963 Islander 32 after an extensive refit, we're also moving to Radford/Blacksburg Virginia and would like to have the boat relatively close by, which will be about 4-5 hours away over in the Southern Chesapeake.

I've never sailed on the Chesapeake or lived in Virginia so I'm looking for some local knowledge in finding a marina. I'll need a yard and a travel lift to launch it and it would be a plus to be able to get some minor work done before the launch.

We'd like a marina as close as possible to Radford, more like a four hour drive than a five hour drive would be nice. Something low-key and family oriented would be nice. We have two young kids so some kid/wife friendly amenities would be a plus. We don't have any reason to be in or near any cities, off the beaten path is fine. No need for anything fancy or pretentious, I like liveaboards, old boats, and boats being worked on. A smaller or family operated marina would be great, giant warehouses of powerboats are a serious turnoff.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
David
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook