SailNet Community - View Single Post - Voltage puzzle
Thread: Voltage puzzle
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Re: Voltage puzzle

Like the others said, you really can't tell much from the voltage, but at the same time it isn't completely useless. Any example is my own bank, while I'm charging it, it can, of course, go up to 14.2 volts or even higher if I let the unregulated KISS wind generator run it up to 16 volts or higher (I'm working on putting a divert load in now). But as soon as you take that power away, the voltage then drops from 14.2, or 13.2, back down to sometimes 12.9 or in that neighboorhood.

Then go the other way, without any charging, put a load on it, from 12.9 my bank can be at 12.4 under load in a matter of minutes, and if the load is harsh enough down to 12.2. Let that go for hours and hours and I can be down at 11.9, but even that isn't the whole story because if I then remove the load and let it "rest", the voltage will climb back up to 12.3, 12.4, etc ...

You just really can't depend on the voltage to tell you state of charge. I used to think it was more useful than it really is but I have learned through experience that it is a very course measurement at best. That doesn't mean it isn't useful at all, if my bank is under a light load and it starts showing something around 12.1, 12.0, then I know I need to put a charge on it, even though the rest voltage is higher than that.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 05-31-2012 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Edit
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook