SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing off...
Thread: Sailing off...
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012

Amazing Grace is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing off...

Hey Sailorgirl, I haven't read all the posts, but enough to get the drift, so to speak. You've got a dream. I think that's wonderful. I had one too, nearly 20 years ago. I was a novice sailor then. My husband and I sailed in a race from S.F. to Hawaii in our own boat with others. We then left on our own for 2 years through the south pacific. Years later after relocating to NZ, we left to professionally crew luxury yachts for a number of years. It took us all over the world, and put many bluewater miles under our already seasoned belts. We're back now and look forward oneday to do more cruising.

It started with a dream. Good on ya girlfriend.

My suggestion is this: How about crewing on a yacht destined for...somewhere? Look on this forum and others. You seem very willing, and this type of experience will give you a good idea if it's really a dream you wish to pursue. Of course, it will help you if you have taken some courses on seamanship; or if you're comfortable with the experience you already have, great. Be upfront with the skipper of your skills/short comings.

Where you are, perhaps crewing for a boat going to the bahamas would be a good start? Not to mention fabulous scenery!

All the best to you. Don't get too lost in the detail of it all at the moment....just give it a try first to see if it fits.

All the best - and have fun. That's what's life is about.

Aloha,
Leilani
s/y Amazing Grace
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook