SailNet Community - View Single Post - Escape Rumba Help
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Escape Rumba Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielF View Post
Can anyone perchance comment on the Rumba vs a Sunfish? I haven't been out on my Rumba yet (got it Saturday...currently assessing small repair), yet I'm considering selling the Sunfish because I can't exactly keep both boats
Dan,

The best thing about the Rumba is the fact that you can reef the sail if the winds get snotty or when you dump the boat (you will). We sailed a Sunfish as teenagers and it was a great boat but it did not have the performance of the Rumba which is more akin to a Laser. I bought my Rumba--two actually--from a hotel that used to rent them and then decided that they'd had too many problems with tourists getting stuck down wind of the place and calling for assistance. The boats were pretty beat up and took some fixing but when that was done I was able to sell one for the cost of both plus repairs and so got ours for the value of the repair labor. We towed ours around on vacations with the kids for several years and it was a lot of fun but it was a bit much for a kid alone. It's really a fairly performance boat for a youngster (I put a knot in the lead-line for the furler so the kids couldn't get the sail all the way to keep thing somewhat under control). With my daughter now grown, we don't use the boat much but when we do, I get a kick out of it.

My wife still prefers a Sunfish as she thinks the Rumba is too much "work" but I like the boat and it is fun. (Actually, she really prefers the "big" boat as with that, all she has to do is steer, which she can do without getting soaked--most of the time!)

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook