SailNet Community - View Single Post - Racing yacht's near-miss with large whale captured on video
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Racing yacht's near-miss with large whale captured on video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris12345 View Post
What a retarded, evil thing to say:

You see someone in a huge boat avoiding hitting an equally huge whale, and somehow conclude that "it was less out of concern for the whale, and moreso the integrity of the boat".

As if there was ANY indication that, if he could have hit the whale without damaging the boat, he would have done it.

May have been making something of a logical leap but "retarded and/or evil" ? Now that is over the top.

Quite frankly it worries me the amount of damage wrought by the keels on modern racing boats and they slice through the water at those great speeds.

Competitors in the annual Sydney to Hobart regularly take out basking SunFish and I'm yet to hear anyone bemoaning the fate of the fish, its always oh bugger we broke our boat.

If those sailors really had any concern for the well being of various sea creatures they wouldn't, in my oopinion, have keels that would cut like a knife at those speeds.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook