SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012

KnottyGurl is on a distinguished road
Re: Can I sail to the Bahamas with NO experience?

There are lots of great boats that will carry you to the Bahamas for the price your looking for. Set your self up with a decent chart plotter, fixed VHF and a handheld, learn navigation, get a cruising handbook of the area your planning to visit as they give information on nav tips and approaches. Figure what you eat and how it can be stored in rubber made boxes get 4 10 gallon ones and that would amount to the basic max storage allotted to food.
Make sure you can have atleast 30 gallons in a holding tank for water, that gets you 14 days of safety for two people. Additional jugs can be lashed to the side as well as fuel, I have a 26 ftr so I have one fuel and water on each side for long hauls and practice passage's.
I can easily do a 300 or 600 NM passage as practice and still be able to duck in if needed.
The bottom line is meet people get some knowledge, then skills OJT so to speak and start weekending and sailing till you find your self pointing in the direction you want go island hopping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook