SailNet Community - View Single Post - Canadian resident registering boat in US. Duty question
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 06-01-2012 Thread Starter
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Canadian resident registering boat in US. Duty question


I'm hoping someone can help me with this question

We are in bit of a unique situation because we live in the Yukon and sail in Alaska

We have to register our boat there or leave US waters every 90 days. Obviously with a sailboat this doesn't work

The new boat we are thinking of buying is registered in Washington state and is a US flagged vessel

We were told my Canada customs that we would have to pay duty and GST on the boat when we cross the border into BC enroute to Alaska, and import the boat

This makes no sense to me, as it will go to Alaska to be registered and used there

We heard that they we a temporary transit form that can be used called From E 99. But when I talk to customs I get vague answers like it is up to the discretion of the officer whether we can use this

This situation would apply if we ever transitted back though Candian waters later, enroute to the US

Anyone have any insights on this?

I am a dual US/Canadian citizen and am able to also US document the boat, if that would help

Any thoughts?


ykmaggie is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome