SailNet Community - View Single Post - Canadian resident registering boat in US. Duty question
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Re: Canadian resident registering boat in US. Duty question

We bought our boat in Detriot and had to transit the Welland Canal. We were told by Canada Customs that we too would have to import the boat and pay the taxes. With the help of a local marina manager we were able to get special permission to transit the canal without importing the boat and thus avoiding the taxes. If you take the inside passage you will be in Canadian waters for quite some time where as we were in the canal for only a few hours (8 I think). You may be able to get a temporary work form that will allow you to have work done on your boat in Canada. Then you will have to return the boat to the US. This might work for you and would be worth investigating. You enter Canada from Washington State. Have some work done and then return to the US only this time to Alaska. I cannot give you form numbers but Canada customs issue these exemptions on a regular basis. It's worth a shot.
My first question to Canada Customs would be, as an American citizen what do I have to do to transit through Canadian waters. As an American you do not have to import the boat.

Last edited by ebs001; 06-01-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook