SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lifeline Batteries
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Lifeline Batteries

Great posts all... esp Chef and Bill. Good to see you still around Bill!

I have four Lifeline 4-d agm's and a optima start. I installed circa 2007-2008. I just replaced the Optima again (on my third). I think the Optimas are vastly overrated. I have not gotten three years out of a single one and they are kept on a good charge, constantly. Maybe they need to be excercised more... but I digress.

My opinion used to be that everyone should go for agm's. I do not have that opinion anymore. I think AGM's got overhyped and like solar, people overestimated what is reality. That being the case, I would still purchase agm's for cruising or a boat that is on a hook. I know many people (probably including Bill and Maine) will dissagree. But honestly, it is one less thing I have to maintenance. And we spend a vast majority of our time when we can on the hook. No way I would put an agm on a weekend boat unless she sat on the hook all day and self-discharge was a problem. To me, the wet cell option is very competitive and the agm's are not.

I have not had any problems with my batts yet. However, I have a large solar array that keeps the batteries happy. I do not let her ever get below 50%, and even 85% will require some rainy days in a row. Any battery would probably do well in that environment. But I keep two of the batteries in a place that is very hard to maintenance so agm's/gells are the thing for me.

One last comment, I have only equlaized my batteries twice. The comments about equalizing every month are completely new to me. I have not heard that.

I would give Lifeline (or any agm) a cautious thumbs up, with the caution going to intended use, charging system, location, and budget.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook