SailNet Community - View Single Post - I've never sailed in my life... talk me into it.
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: I've never sailed in my life... talk me into it.

Hey, don't let anyone talk you out of buying a little sloop and sailing around on it. Some cruisers that have the horror story's probably just aren't that good at it. A lot of them got in to the game late, after a life time in the 'burbs and didn't have an apparent aptitude for it. Now that they have passed a huge and expensive learning curve, they are so proud of them selves they don't think some other dude can come along and just do it. Buy a little sloop on a trailer, keep in your drive way. If the standing rigging is rusty and has broken stands, go to the store and buy some wire and terminal ends. I'm a rigger by trade and belive me, it's not rocket science. Get a little macgregor, it's cheap for the running and standing rig. The boat allready knows how to sail itself, go out on a protected lake or sound and pull on lines till the sails stop flapp'n and you start moving. Take a boating safety class and join a sail club. Do you actually think that there are thousands of people out there doing it but for some reason you can't? Ofcourse not. Get a little japanese out board to get you out of trouble. it's so easy it's stupid. And if you keep it simple it's not expensive.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 06-01-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook