SailNet Community - View Single Post - First boat now.... or later?
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Re: First boat now.... or later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindark View Post
Hello everyone,

Starting the ASA101 class next week and was starting to think of my next step after the class. My immediate options are to either find a reasonable/cheap 22’-28’ to start off or go with a “fractional ownership”. The fractional ownership is $1500 a season (Apr-Nov) and allows me to take a 22” Catalina out 7 times a month.

The fractional membership seems to be the cheapest way to go but I think I would rather buy something. I really want to learn how to take care of a boat and the fractional membership would be no different than renting a boat for the day.

I am pretty sure I want to eventually get a mid 80’s Hunter 34 or Catalina 36 so that would be my next step in about 2 years. I was thinking of making the leap and just getting the Hunter 34 now but I am trying to talk myself down.

It just seems like a waste to put money into something you know you don’t want. Any thoughts or lessons learned from past experiences? Thanks in advance!

James
If you just want to sail either have a lot of money or don't but a boat. If you want the maintenance (I did), then buy the boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook