SailNet Community - View Single Post - Production blue water boats
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2006

JakeLevi is on a distinguished road
factors

Hi John
unfortunately yachtworld listings etc dont tell how hulls are connected, how thick or what thru-hulls there are, and what they use. They just stress the cosmetics, not whether the boat will take you not only out of the bay but bring you back.

but tankage and displacement does tend to indicate those who are making boats for serious useage and not as dockaminiums.

I'm on the wrong side of the learning curve as to which companys are producing serious cruising boats, somehow got to winnow these hints and clues out. NOBODY wants to say this or that make/model is strictly a dockaminium and this one is a good blue water cruiser. Following prices doesnt help in that, too many people with the money to lay out a quarter million for once a summer sailing dockaminiums. The occasional sailing yacht that shows up has different sailing characteristics then what I want. I'm a pickup man not a sports car driver. I'm looking for a Ford 4 WD F150 or Toyota Land Cruiser in a boat, not a 'vette.

But, from reading here and talking to some forum members I am slowly deleting those boats not to be given serious consideration. Its a process. I appreciate all of the input.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook