SailNet Community - View Single Post - Farr Ims 40.7 and possibility of putting aft swept back wire?
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: Farr Ims 40.7 and possibility of putting aft swept back wire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenzsea View Post
Hi SchockT,

The tentionest part in downwind is the place around the running backstay attached on mast so I thought to put permanant stays there from.

I would like to know even if sacrify her performance, will it do the job like running backstay when it's mistaken?
Would you belive in there is no yacht rigger specialty here in Korean?
I am asking around to get some idea for that and in next week,
I will get some boat workers to do that job!
You can't have permanent stays below masthead without interfering with your main. Even if you had them in very close to the mast at a steep angle, they would still be in the way, and the kinds of loads you could be putting on those stays at that angle would require some serious engineering for chainplates. You couldn't put that kind of load onto your deck alone. Even if you did do that and were prepared to live with the boom interference, the damage you could do to the rig if the boom hit it hard in a wipeout?

It's a bad idea, and it would ruin that beautiful boat of yours!

I am curious, where did the mast break, and what were the sailing conditions? Do you have any pictures? I notice this one has a permanent backstay.

Last edited by SchockT; 06-02-2012 at 03:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook