SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wood, Diesel or propane bulkhead heating stove?
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Re: Wood, Diesel or propane bulkhead heating stove?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
It was not a "marine" product. Was a small standard airtight box stove. They have holes in the legs that can be screwed down to the deck. It was ok for a powerboat with a large cabin but doubt one would work on a sailboat too well unless some additional bracing could be designed. Maybe some kind of solid base instead of the cast iron legs which I wouldn't trust with the boat heeled over.
I also have a basic wood stove, and I agree, the legs have to be replaced so that it can be bolted down, but otherwise no modifications need to be made in my experience.

I love the wood stove. Diesel stoves might be good too, because hey, the boat always has to have some diesel, but other fuels in my opinion are too much trouble. It doesn't seem like that big of a thing to make sure you have fuels on board, but it is so nice to simply be able to gather up some sticks off of the ground, break them with your foot or cut them up, and burn them in a wood stove to stay warm. There is just something about it that I don't think fuel stoves can ever replace. The stove is warm, fuel is plentiful, free, and even collecting the wood is a fun and healthy activity.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook